Yeah, yeah, yeah – you have heard me talk all day long and post incessently about IPv6 lately – sure, my firm 6connect, is in that business and there are some selfish reasons I think that this is happening, however, there are some very quantifiable, verifiable, and qualitative reasons why we see 2012 as the year of IPv6 Adoption!
- IANA did run out of IPv4 addresses last Feb followed by APNIC – RIPE is due to exhaust their supply of v4 assets in first half of this year followed by ARIN early in ’13 – Geoff Huston of APNIC has maintained a very accurate depletion model found here: http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html
- As an IPAM vendor with expertise in IPv6, we are seeing many companies from ISPs, Hosting, to Enterprise & Govt inquire with us about our IPAM in the context of moving to IPv6 – using that as a proxy, we’ve seen our customer inquiries quadruple over last 30 days and the inquires we’ve seen alone just this week have been some VERY LARGE, global ISPs
- Domestic roll out success of Comcast, led by John Brzozowski, will continue bringing more “home” users online, thus catalyzing more content/SaaS companies to make the swtich (chicken-egg)
- Increasing need for IPs by “non-traditional” IP copmanies such as “smart grid”, “wifi hot spot cars”, and just about everything else being online, the demand for IPs simply will necessitate the need to move to v6
- Guess here – we will see some innovations within IPv6 mgmt that will pull the “geek crowd” over to use it to improve application performance – not sure what exactly that might be, however, there are enough people playing with v6 now, that innovations will soon follow
There is a lot more that will yield a strong year for IPv6 adoption, however, these are some good nuggets to keep an eye on.
Evernet enabled clothing – seems pretty far fetched, right? Check this out: http://www.bitrebels.com/technology/ping-clothing-share-your-life-on-twitter-without-a-keystroke/ – while the current example is only Tweeting your whereabouts, the groundwork is laid for fully interactive clothing – and if I can get the Evernet connected to your clothes, how much further can we go?
You don’t need to look too far to the world of medical devices that will communicate bi-directionally thereby yielding massive inflows of data about our human bodies – the innovation velocity is about to really turn upwards!
Pattern matching seems to be all the rage inside of most Venture Capital firms. This is the notion of recognizing “patterns of success” to help them deduce where to invest their moiney. For example, we’ve recently seen robust development in/around web based discount offers. This WAS a hot area for investment after the meteoric rise (and I suspect fall) of GroupOn. Investors were quick to seek out similar business models to invest in so as to ride the upswing.
The Evernet will unleash a tsunami of new pattern matching with all the data streaming in from every connected device or thing, and this will yield new innovation and discovery. For example, bio-hacking is just an early preview of this type of work whereby people today are “hacking” themselves thru the analysis of newly available “bio-data”. My friend and colleague, Dave Asprey, is a part of this vanguard and has written extensively on the topic – see: http://about.me/asprey. He claims (and he is not prone to fantastical statements) that he has been able to reduce his sleep to just 6hrs a night, increased his IQ by 20+ points, and has experienced a more sustained energy level. This is all due to the fact that he can capture so much data from a variety of always on devices he uses to track his various bio-rhythms, sleep patterns, caloric intakes, exercise, etc. The ease with which he can now analyze all facets of his corpus has led him to innovate his very own life – this will become more and more common.
In the end, the evolution of the Internet into the Evernet will increase the innovation velocity we see already happening. Think about how much has changed in just past 10years – the next decade will be even more innovative and exciting (if you like change!)!!